Scientists from the University of Cincinnati (USA) decided to find out which fabrics are best for making protective face masks at home. The laboratory tested several options, including cotton fabric, and concluded that silk face masks are the best at protecting against Covid-19.
According to the authors of the new study, this material has natural antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral properties, and when using a silk mask together with a respirator, protection is improved several times, writes the New York Post.
Scientists note that silk contains copper, which can kill bacteria and viruses. Besides, this material does not get wet and is breathable.
And the disadvantage of cotton is that it absorbs moisture like a sponge and ceases to perform protective functions within 30-40 minutes after the start of use.
If you decide to make a homemade face mask, then take a closer look at this material. Unlike cotton fabric, which is popularly called gauze, silk “breathes” throughout its use, since moisture that gets on the surface of the fabric dries out immediately.
Step-by-step instructions to create a protective silk mask
To create a protective silk mask we need:
For a pattern:
Two sheets from a notebook in a cage
For the mask:
Elastic band for hat or clothes
Spool of thread
Sewing machine (if it is available)
What should I do to sew a protective silk mask?
- First, you need to cut out the mask. To do this, fold the fabric in two layers, with the front side inward. On the seamy side, we impose a paper pattern or pattern and draw a pencil around the contour. Do not forget to mark 1 cm seam allowances. To make a protective face mask, we need 2 pairs of symmetrical parts.
- We sew on a sewing machine or sew on hands two pairs of symmetrical parts in the central part of the mask, for convenience, having previously fastened them with tailor’s pins.
- So that the rounded edge lies well on the front side, carefully, without reaching the line, we make cuts along with it.
- We got two details of the future protective mask. We put one on top of the other face to face so that the middle seams coincide, pin them off and sew along the long cuts – upper and lower.
- After that you should turn the mask inside out onto the face, straighten and iron it.
- You can sew the mask along the long sides to the edge so that it holds its shape better and looks neater.
- We process the short side cuts with an overlock stitch, bend them about 1.5 cm inside out and attach or sew on the hands.
- Cut off two pieces of gum, 20 cm long. Using a safety pin, insert the elastic into the side seams.
- Fasten the ends of the elastic by sewing with a needle or tying them. We hide a seam or knot.
The face mask is ready! The protective mask for children is sewn in the same way from a smaller pattern. For this, you can take a fabric with a funny pattern or decorate a protective mask for a child by making embroidery.
Be healthy! Take care of yourself and your loved ones!